Earlier this week St. Bonaventure made a big splash by hiring longtime Canisius head coach Randy Mearns to become the program’s first Division I men’s lacrosse coach. Coach Mearns has had a lengthy career not only with playing for and coaching the Griffs, but also for having a championship career in the NLL as well as coaching Team Canada at the World Championships.
On this special edition of College Crossecast, Coach Mearns was gracious to join Chris and I on the eve of his first day on the job at St. Bonaventure. In this episode we chat about things like:
- Getting into the sport of lacrosse in the St. Catharines area of Ontario (4:00)
- The difficulty of leaving Canisius behind while taking the opportunity at hand in St. Bonaventure (9:45)
- His experiences with Team Canada (22:20) and box lacrosse (26:00) and how both help him in his coaching approach
- Possible conference affiliation and the general growth of the sport (31:53)
- St. Bonaventure’s position in Upstate New York and the Allegheny Valley and its effects on recruiting (36:23)
- The evolution of lacrosse through his eyes in a career that spans three decades (40:30)
- And some fun about Western New York and his life in the area along the way!
We wrap up with the confirmation of Michigan hiring Kevin Conroy from Maryland, with a special message from Chris.
As usual, listen below or on Podomatic, or subscribe on iTunes and Google Play. While you’re there, leave us a review!