There are 128 ways the bracket can go starting today. (There were 131,072 ways the bracket could have broken starting with the play-in games last week.) That isn't a ridiculously high number of possibilities that will determine the 2014 national champion, but it does illustrate the depth of permutations that remain in what has been a tournament desiring to go sideways. Eight teams enter the weekend with eyes toward M&T Bank Stadium and the Final Four with only half of those teams meeting their perceived destiny by early Sunday evening.
Take off your pants, people, and enjoy the sunshine.
Here is your highlight for today:
The Friggin' Tournament: The day starts and ends in Hempstead, New York. Home to Hofstra University and the world's finest example of why a thing shouldn't be built even if people think the thing should be built (the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum and Garbage Transfer Station), Hempstead is going to rock -- Shuart Stadium is going to have a huge crowd -- as Maryland, Bryant, Albany, and Notre Dame compete in the day's doubleheader. Get yourself squared away before the accelerator is punched:
- A special quarterfinal round edition of THE FACEOFF.
- Words about Bryant-Maryland. Can the Bulldogs drop another tradition-laden laser force?
- Words about Albany-Notre Dame. Will this be the last time that the Thompson Trio smashes faces in Albany uniforms?
- Quarterfinals stategories! Learn a little something to make your afternoon one where you dance with genius.
- Totally accurate predictions for the quarterfinals round. Hand to God: This crap is happening this weekend.
Here's Saturday's full schedule. If there are errors, please let me know. I'll fix/populate links to live stats and video as the day progresses (if necessary).
|UNSEEDED||SEEDED||TIME (ET)||LIVE STATS||VIDEO|
|Bryant||Maryland (7)||12:00 P.M.||LIVE STATS||VIDEO // ESPN2|
|Albany||Notre Dame (6)||2:30 P.M.||LIVE STATS||VIDEO // ESPN2|
This is your open thread for Saturday. Ryan will be at Shuart Stadium today, so you should follow him on the Twitter machine (@RyanMcD29). People will be around to yak about whatever is tickling their fancy.