Everybody has finally played at least one college lacrosse game! Hooray!
That means we now know a little bit about everybody for the 2018 season, even if it might be completely the opposite of how they perform in April or May.
Before we get to this week’s edition, our pal Skyler unveiled our College Crosse Women’s
Without further ado, here’s our first regular season edition of the Power Rankings!
- Duke (Last Week: 1) - They looked like they were going to be out of the top spot after three quarters, but an explosive 4th quarter changed all that.
- Albany (LW: 2) - The hype is real.
- Maryland (LW: 4) - Despite a scare against High Point, the Terps got back to speed thanks to five goals from Logan Wisnauskas.
- Denver (LW: 3) - Despite the loss, Denver is a Championship Weekend caliber team.
- Ohio State (LW: 6) - Nick Myers is building a powerhouse in Columbus.
- Army West Point (LW: 13) - The Black Knights gutted out a 9-7 win, and head to the Carrier Dome sniffing another win over the Orange.
- Virginia (LW: 12) - Entering the Princeton game, we don’t know if Griffin Thompson or Alex Rode will be the team’s starting netminder.
- Loyola (LW: 15) - A beatdown of Hopkins is a great way to enter Patriot League play against Lafayette.
- Villanova (LW: 16) - Are they a darkhorse to make the NCAA Tournament after another big win?
- Penn State (LW: 11) - Penn State is 2-1 with a possible upset waiting in Robert Morris.
- Notre Dame (LW: 10) - If the bye week helped Villanova, will the bye week help Notre Dame against Richmond?
- Yale (LW: 5) - It’s early in the season for the Bulldogs, but they’ll look to bounce back at home against Michigan.
- Rutgers (LW: 8) - The Scarlet Knights couldn’t figure out Army’s tough defense, which could play in their chances for making the NCAA Tournament come May.
- Johns Hopkins (LW: 9) - Welp, the Blue Jays have a tall task at home today against UNC.
- Syracuse (LW: 7) - After scoring only three goals against Albany a week after scoring 21 against Binghamton, will the Orange find ways to get past the Black Knight defense?
- North Carolina (LW: 14) - Another overtime win, but they face a much tougher opponent in Hopkins today.
- Vermont (LW: 22) - The Catamounts are playing great lacrosse on both sides of the field and will look to go 5-0 against Quinnipiac.
- Colgate (LW: 36) - Griffin Brown was the stud in their win over Cornell, the first since 1997.
- Princeton (LW: 23) - Michael Sowers had a good start, but Chris Brown might be able to replace Gavin McBride at attack.
- Penn (LW: 18) - After a nice first win over Michigan, they got beat up by Maryland in College Park, and it gets worse with Duke.
- Boston University (LW: 21) - Dartmouth was a cupcake, on to Navy in their Patriot League opener.
- Providence (LW: 24) - A statement win over Bryant helps the Friars, with St. Joe’s coming to town.
- Towson (LW: 17) - Another slow start, this time to Mount St. Mary’s, but the Tigers ended up with the win, and hope to make it two in a row against Georgetown.
- Marquette (LW: 26) - Freshmen played a big part in the Golden Eagles’ win over Jacksonville, and will have to do so again against Detroit Mercy.
- Richmond (LW: 27) - Two good wins over Bucknell and Mount St. Mary’s as the Spiders head to South Bend to take on the Fighting Irish.
- Brown (LW: 19) - An overtime loss to Quinnipiac was not how Mike Daly thought his seond season would start.
- Bucknell (LW: 20) - A tough loss to Richmond last weekend, but the Bison have a tall task against a surprisingly good Colgate team.
- Hofstra (LW: 25) - The Pride fought back against Ohio State to no avail, but hope to upset Villanova at home on Saturday.
- Monmouth (LW: 29) - One goal short of a huge program victory over Princeton, but they can settle with a beatdown of Wagner with Delaware on Saturday.
- Georgetown (LW: 39) - The Hoyas have a momentum-changing game against Towson on Saturday, and a win could do big things for the program.
- Lehigh (LW: 30) - They were the team that came up short against UNC this weekend, but they get set to host Holy Cross in their Patriot League opener.
- Bryant (LW: 28) - The Bulldogs had a tough loss against the Friars, and they visit Hartford this weekend to try and get things back on track.
- Delaware (LW: 42) - The Blue Hens are 2-0 and look to make it 3-0 against Monmouth.
- Sacred Heart (LW: 45) - Sacred Heart’s win over Furman happened at Homewood Field, which is fun, and the Pios look to earn another win this weekend against Dartmouth.
- UMBC (LW: 31) - Offense needs some work if they want to win games like Navy.
- Cornell (LW: 33) - Jeff Teat is still a stud, but his seven points weren’t enough to beat Colgate.
- Hobart (LW: 32) - A surprise start to the 2018 season for the Statesmen going 0-2, but look to rebound against Cornell.
- Michigan (LW: 35) - An undefeated season came to an end against Penn, and it gets harder with Yale in Connecticut.
- Robert Morris (LW: 37) - Tough loss to Georgetown, with Penn State coming up on Saturday.
- Jacksonville (LW: 38) - The Dolphins will look to provide Ohio State with a shocking upset Sunday in Florida.
- Air Force (LW: 48) - The Falcons finally won their first game against Marist, but there’s still no answer on the status of some players and Eric Seremet.
- UMass (LW: 41) - UMass has a struggling Harvard team at Garber Field on Saturday.
- Navy (LW: 46) - The Mids gutted out a 7-5 win over UMBC, but have BU in their Patriot League opener.
- Stony Brook (LW: 40) - Stony Brook needs a win this weekend against Brown, which was a 25-17 Seawolves win last year.
- Fairfield (LW: 49) - Brendan Quinn had a hat-trick in the team’s win over St. Joe’s, and the Stags hope to get a big upset in New Jersey against Rutgers.
- Drexel (LW: 43) - Virginia was tough, as expected, but Albany will also be a tough game.
- Siena (LW: 64) - The Saints got their first win in their first game this time around, and look to go 2-0 against UMass Lowell.
- Detroit Mercy (LW: 51) - The Titans won a #WhitneyInOT comeback over Mercer, but the Dolphins got the best of the Titans on Tuesday.
- Marist (LW: 44) - The Red Foxes are still surprisingly winless, but they hope to get their first win against Binghamton.
- Quinnipiac (LW: 66) - Could Quinnipiac be a MAAC dark horse?
- Saint Joseph’s (LW: 47) - Mike Rastivo helps the Hawks on offense, but it wasn’t enough to take down Fairfield, with Providence on deck this weekend.
- Harvard (LW: 34) - The Crimson don’t look good, despite being 1-1.
- High Point (LW: 55) - The Panthers are the best winless team in the nation, and proved it with tough games against Maryland and Virginia.
- Holy Cross (LW: 58) - A surprising win for the Crusaders over Harvard, but can they get the ball rolling against Lehigh in Patriot League play?
- St. John’s (LW: 60) - The Johnnies got their first win of the season over Hartford, so now can they get their second against High Point?
- Canisius (LW: 54) - Mark Miyashita earned his first win as head coach over Binghamton, and the Golden Griffins head to Radnor to take on a hungry Furman squad.
- Bellarmine (LW: 59) - A win over Cleveland State isn’t that good, but the Knights can go to .500 with a win over Manhattan.
- Furman (LW: 52) - The Paladins are also winless, but look to change that against Canisius.
- Hartford (LW: 50) - Hartford has a big weekend ahead of them, as they take on Bryant after their women’s team plays their first ever game.
- UMass Lowell (LW: 53) - A tough loss for the River Hawks against Harvard, but a new challenge appears in Siena.
- Binghamton (LW: 56) - They didn’t give up 21 goals to Canisius, but the Bearcats also did not get the win.
- Mount St. Mary’s (LW: 62) - The Mountaineers are winless, but they’ve put some pressure on Delaware, Towson, and Richmond in all three losses.
- Wagner (LW: 57) - A huge loss to Monmouth doesn’t help our favorite team, who play Dartmouth next Saturday.
- Lafayette (LW: 63) - A 3-1 record could not happen due to a loss to Manhattan, and the road begins to get tough with Loyola this weekend.
- Manhattan (LW: 69) - Two wins over VMI and Lafayette set up a good meeting against Bellarmine for the Jaspers.
- Mercer (LW: 61) - The Bears choked a 7-2 lead against Detroit Mercy to lose in overtime, and have North Carolina on Wednesday.
- Dartmouth (LW: 68) - THEY WON THEIR FIRST GAME before losing to BU on Tuesday, with Sacred Heart on Saturday.
- Cleveland State (LW: 65) - Second-year struggles continue for the Vikings, who have Air Force and Denver this weekend.
- NJIT (LW: 67) - A Reverse Survivor-off between the Highlanders and VMI is a great game for NJIT to get their first win of the season.
- VMI (LW: 70) - It looks like we have the same Keydets after falling to Manhattan last weekend.
- Hampton (LW: 71) - The Pirates continue to grow as a team in their third year of play.
Here’s the table version:
2018 Week 4 Power Rankings
|Rank||Team||Record||Last Week's Rank||Change||2017 Record|
|Rank||Team||Record||Last Week's Rank||Change||2017 Record|
|13||Army West Point||3-1||6||-7||12-4|
|55||Mount St. Mary's||1-4||62||+7||4-10|