UPDATE #2: Well actually...
Sounding like Connor Ford is out as an assistant coach at Michigan lacrosse, according to multiple sources.— Marisa Ingemi (@Marisa_Ingemi) April 18, 2018
Give credit where credit is due.
UPDATE #1: A Michigan team spokesman has confirmed Ford’s status with the team. Ford resigned prior to the team’s April 21 game against Johns Hopkins. The spokesman also mentioned no one specific incident led to his resignation.
Michigan Wolverines offensive coordinator Conor Ford is no longer with the university, a source has told College Crosse. His profile has been taken off the team’s website.
Ford was fired midway through April. The source said an incident involving Ford and midfielder Decker Curran in their loss against Rutgers played a role in his dismissal:
Ford was in his fourth year as an assistant coach with the Wolverines and his first under new head coach Kevin Conry. Before joining Michigan, Ford spent five years with Brian Voelker at Drexel.
The school has not responded to our request for comment.
This is the second known firing for an assistant coach this season. Earlier this year, the Marist Red Foxes relieved offensive coordinator Mike Gongas of his duties.
Bellarmine’s Kevin Burns, Bill Tully fired
The Bellarmine Knights have fired head coach Kevin Burns and offensive coordinator Bill Tully, the school confirmed back on April 20. Defensive coordinator Jay Sothoron took over as interim head coach beginning with the team’s win over Mercer on April 14. A source told College Crosse the two coaches were fired prior to the team’s SoCon opener against the Bears.
Sothoron took over interim coaching duties after a team spokesman said Burns and Tully would not be on the sideline due to “personal reasons.” Sothoron and the Bellarmine team account tweeted out videos of players celebrating with messages about tough times after the Mercer win:
@Inside_Lacrosse @BellarmineLax Sometimes tough situations lead special moments. Being a coach is tough at any level. It can also be a lonely existence but these moments remind you of why you do it. Proud of this team’s commitment to each other. Big home win vs Mercer! #Together pic.twitter.com/44iUChguzJ— Jay Sothoron (@CoachSothoron) April 15, 2018
The source said a weight was lifted off the program during the Mercer game and the call for Burns to go had been going on for some time.
The Knights failed to qualify for the SoCon Tournament after beating VMI and losing to Furman.
A number of seniors quit before the start of the season, according to the source. One senior, former starting defenseman Evan Kalish, tweeted out the following after news came out:
In seven seasons as head coach, Burns went 34-54 overall and 12-27 in conference play, 9-15 in three years as a member of the Southern Conference. His team made one conference tournament in his tenure with the Knights, losing to Air Force in the 2016 SoCon semifinals.
Burns succeeded the late Jack McGetrick in 2012 after Bart Sullivan served as interim head coach for one year. He came over from Greg Cannella’s staff at UMass and was his top assistant before leaving for Bellarmine.
Bellarmine is officially the first school with a head coach opening. But others could open up in the very near future.
Air Force head coach Eric Seremet did not coach the Falcons this season as the team is currently under investigation for alleged hazing. Bill Wilson was the team’s interim head coach for this season, and the team added Nick Ossello as an assistant coach later in the season.
Holy Cross head coach Judd Lattimore was placed on administrative leave back in March. Assistants Peter Burke and Nico Capron shared coaching duties for the remainder of the season.
There are no new updates regarding Seremet and Lattimore at their respective schools.
Cornell and Lafayette also have interim head coaches in Peter Milliman and Ed Williams respectively.