GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING, College Crosse Nation!! Thanks for making us a part of your day! Here are your links for February 19, 2018.
What You Missed
Detroit Mercy overcame a 7-2 deficit to beat Mercer in overtime.
Who’s moving up and down in this weekend’s Arestia Development.
Saturday was a busy (and crazy) day for the college lacrosse world.
It all got started on Friday with Duke beating Denver and Lafayette beating Wagner in overtime.
Lacrosse The Nation
Check out game recaps from all across the country:
- Albany vs. Syracuse (Inside Lacrosse, US Lacrosse Magazine)
- Denver vs. Duke (Inside Lacrosse, US Lacrosse Magazine)
- Hofstra vs. Ohio State (Land-Grant Holy Land, Inside Lacrosse)
- Jacksonville vs. Marquette (Anonymous Eagle)
- Johns Hopkins vs. Loyola (Inside Lacrosse)
- Maryland vs. High Point (Testudo Times)
- Michigan vs. Penn (Inside Lacrosse)
- Rutgers vs. Army West Point (Inside Lacrosse)
- Siena vs. Hobart (Finger Lakes Times)
- Stony Brook vs. Penn State (The Daily Collegian)
- Villanova vs. Yale [in Frisco, Texas] (Inside Lacrosse, US Lacrosse Magazine)
- Virginia vs. Drexel (Streaking the Lawn)
- Tampa vs. Limestone (GoUpstate.com) [and other Division II and III games] (US Lacrosse Magazine)
- Boston College vs. Boston University [Women’s Lacrosse] (BC Interruption)
- Maryland vs. Florida [Women’s Lacrosse] (Testudo Times, The Independent Florida Alligator)
- Northwestern vs. Duke [Women’s Lacrosse] (US Lacrosse Magazine)
- Stony Brook vs. USC [Women’s Lacrosse] (US Lacrosse Magazine)
- Syracuse vs. Oregon [Women’s Lacrosse] (Nunes Magician)
Mike Preston of The Baltimore Sun sees some similarities in this year’s Loyola team to the 2012 national champion Greyhounds, thanks to Marc Van Arsdale:
As a group, they share the ball and play within themselves. It’s only been six years since Loyola won the title, but these midfielders are throwbacks.
“If opposing teams are going to press out, it creates more space and allows us more opportunities,” [Pat] Spencer said. “We’ve given them the green light to go, and they are going to go by them if they press out.”
Said [Charley] Toomey: “I guess one of our biggest concerns was how quickly Loyola was going to grow up on the offensive end. We came in knowing other teams were going to try to take Pat out of the offense. Coach Van Arsdale came in and has done what he has been doing for a long time.”
Down in Frisco, Danny Seibel was the hero in #WhitneyInOT once again, as @NovaLacrosse beat Yale in the Cowboys' practice facility. Chalk up another win for Philly over Dallas (from @LaxSportsNet). pic.twitter.com/3cGd7g1tA9— Chris Jastrzembski (@CFJastrzembski) February 19, 2018
Brett Erskine was on Sportscenter for his game-tying goal against the Mercer Bears from yesterday:
Coming in at #7 on @ESPNSportsCentr Top 10 is Brett Erskine‘ game-tying goal #DetroitsCollegeTeam #MAACLAX @MAACSports @Inside_Lacrosse @UDMDetroit @USLacrosseMag @LaxSportsNet @NCAALAX pic.twitter.com/hw4jyTdFVd— Detroit Mercy MLAX (@UDMLAX) February 19, 2018
Highlights from Nova’s win over the Yale Bulldogs:
Touchdown John Danowski looked back on Duke’s comeback over the Denver Pioneers.
After their win over Stony Brook, the Penn State Nittany Lions men’s lacrosse team participated in THON:
They did better than Virginia’s Ian Laviano, who....needs a ton of work.
Tanner and Brayden Peck of Penn State bring in different personalities, from Paddy Cotter of The Daily Collegian:
“If you look at a family picture of us,” Tanner said, “myself and my youngest brother look exactly alike, and Brayden and my older brother are like the same person and look exactly alike. So it’s kind of like the two pairs.”
It was obvious that Tanner would play lacrosse. Jim and Kellie Peck were from a lacrosse hotbed in upstate New York and it was natural that their kids would adopt the passion of their region. Jim started a youth lacrosse program and promptly got Tanner involved.
“He was my coach for as long as I can remember,” Tanner said. “My dad definitely pushes us hard where my mom is a teacher and emotional support. She plays the opposite side of that and really encourages us.”
Tanner’s older brother, Colin, was active in the sport. Despite the age difference, Tanner was able to play alongside his older brother because of his size.
“He’s been the bigger kid his whole life,” Brayden said. “When he was younger, he was four or five inches taller than everybody.”
The Terps defense had some surprising struggles against High Point on Saturday, as Scott Gelman of The Diamondback notes.
The new Rodkin Center for Academic Success at Rutgers will certainly help Brian Brecht and his squad.
JJ Redick has come under pressure after some think he used a racial slur when wishing Chinese NBA fans a happy Chinese New Year:
Black Panther had a record setting $192 million opening weekend.
Video of the Day
Drake’s God Plan is an amazing music video.
That’s it for today!! I’ll see you out there!! Make sure you follow us on social media!
iTunes: College Crossecast
Facebook: College Crosse