The Delaware Blue Hens are the 27th team in our 2019 schedule preview series and the fifth team from the CAA. The Blue Hens finished 6-8 in 2018 and 3-2 in CAA play. Delaware came up one goal short in the CAA semifinals, falling to Towson in overtime.
Here’s their entire 2019 schedule:
Delaware’s 2019 Schedule
|Mount St. Mary's
|First meeting since 2017
|First meeting since 2016
- Rutgers Scarlet Knights (15-10 L)
Average Winning Percentage From 2018 Teams
- Overall: .452
- Nonconference: .453
- CAA: .451
Circle These Dates
- 2/26 (vs. Saint Joseph’s): One of two new opponents to the Blue Hen schedule in 2019. Unlike Delaware, St. Joe’s loses plenty of their key contributors from a year ago including Mike Rastivo and Chris Blewitt. They may have found a stud in goal with Mike Adler, who could help the Hawks steal some games this year.
- 3/2 (at Villanova): Both teams were undefeated when they met last March. The Blue Hens led early in the fourth quarter, but Christian Cuccinello scored twice to give the Wildcats the one-goal win. That game started a five-game losing streak for Delaware, which included surprising losses to Mercer and Binghamton.
- 3/9 (vs. Binghamton): The worse of those aforementioned two losses last year came in Binghamton against the Bearcats. Up 7-5 with under a minute into the final quarter, the Blue Hens gave up two goals from William Talbott-Shere to send the game into overtime. His second goal came with 14 seconds left in regulation. Sean Gilroy scored the game-winner with 1:57 left in double overtime to cap off one of the milder surprises of the season.
- 3/23 (at Michigan): Are these two teams poised for breakthrough seasons of different calibers? The Wolverines look to be poised to make a run in Big Ten play and perhaps even nationally on a larger stage. Delaware looks to be a player in the CAA and sneak in an upset if they make it to the NCAA Tournament.
- 4/20 (vs. Towson): If the Blue Hens do want to be a threat in the CAA, they’ll have to prove that in the final two weeks of the regular season and in two games the following week in the CAA Tournament. The Tigers took last year’s regular season meeting by six goals and won their CAA semifinal matchup in overtime after Delaware stormed back and scored four times in the final quarter.
For other schedules and team rosters, check out our Men’s Division I matrix.