Vermont 13 - Furman 12 (OT).
Now THAT'S how you supposed to play lacrosse. From now on that's how everyone plays!https://t.co/BW4MHrzNdX— College Crosse (@SexyTimeLax) February 3, 2017
In an extremely exciting affair the Vermont Catamounts scored with less than 13 seconds left in the fourth quarter to force Furman into OT. In OT Vermont’s Cam Milligan was able to get the ball over to Braiden Davis who shot a lazer for the game-winner. Shout out to Inside Lacrosse for Tweeting out a video of last moments of the game.
After going down 2-1 early in the first quarter Furman went on a 6-goal run to go up 7-2 to take control of the game. It appeared as if Vermont was going to get run right off the field. But the Catamounts battled back in the second quarter and went on a 5-2 run of their own to go into half-time down two goals (9-7).
The third quarter was much quieter than the first half, as both teams only scored three goals combined, with Furman up only a goal going into the 4th quarter. Furman scored first in the 4th quarter and held a two-goal lead with less than 8 minutes to go. Vermont’s “Killa” Cam Milligan was able to stuff in two clutch goals within two minutes of each other to tie the game up with 5:38 left in the 4th.
Neither team scored for the next five minutes until Furman’s William Holcomb was able to sneak one past Vermont’s goalie with less 35 seconds left in the game. Vermont won the next face-off and after a quick timeout Vermont’s Cam Milligan found Ben French for the equalizer with 13 seconds left in the 4th to push the game into overtime. Vermont grabbed the first possession of OT and after another timeout Milligan battled through a double team to find Braiden Davis who rocketed the game-winner with 3:08 in extra time.
WHAT A GAME!!! Vermont wins it 13-12 in OT!! pic.twitter.com/AbuJJD6pOQ— College Crosse (@SexyTimeLax) February 3, 2017
- Graham Dabbs: Though he quieted down after the 1st quarter, Dabbs was dabbing all over Vermont early in the game. Graham quickly scored a hat-trick and added an assist, all before the 13:00 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.
- William Holcomb: Dabbs wasn’t the only one on Furman lighting up the scoreboard as Holcomb finished the game with a hat-trick as well. Holcomb almost had the game-winner as his unassisted goal with 35 seconds in the 4th broke the late 11-11 tie.
- Ben French: French came up big for the Catamounts as he finished the game with four goals and two assists. Ben’s most important goal came with 13 seconds left in the fourth quarter to force the game into OT.
- Rob Hudson: Hudson finished the game with two goals but they both came at a critical juncture. Furman was on a tear early in the game and were up 7-2 before Hudson’s back-to-back goals mid-way through the second quarter stopped the bleeding.
HITTER of the game.
- Cam Milligan: This was an easy one. Cam was HUGE in this ballgame as he finished the day with four goals and added four assists for good measure. Milligan saved his best for last as he had a hand in each of Vermont’s last 5 goals (2 Gs & 3 As). His calm under pressure was on full display in OT as he was able to fight off two defenders to feed the ball to Braiden Davis for the final goal of the game.
Man, if this was only game one of 2017, we are in for one lit season.