Today's weather forecast for major lacrosse areas:
- Washington, D.C.: Partly sunny, with a high near 33. East wind seven to nine miles per hour.
- Baltimore, M.D.: Partly sunny, with a high near 30. East wind six to eight miles per hour.
- Syracuse, N.Y.: Sunny, with a high near 22. Southeast wind around nine miles per hour.
- New York, N.Y.: Mostly sunny, with a high near 29. East wind around seven miles per hour.
- Boston, M.A.: Sunny, with a high near 24. Southeast win around six miles per hour.
- Durham, N.C.: Snow. High near 30. Northeast wind 11 to 14 miles per hour. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. Total daytime snow accumulation of one to three inches possible.
This is mid-week February lacrosse for most programs in the east: Brutal with a chance of misery. Evening games are blanket-mandatory; afternoon games start with the sun -- soon to be blocked out during the coming robot apocalypse -- and end with the chilly suffocation of early evening. There is nothing great about this; it is the antithesis of a balloon animal party. Relief will eventually come, but until then, it's still Thermos season.
Anyway, there's only one game today. Here's your highlight:
- Mount St. Mary's at Georgetown: A Mountaineers upset of the Hoyas would be fairly shocking, but Georgetown's season-opener from 2013 provides pause: The Hoyas hosted Lafayette -- a team that went 3-10 in 2013, rolling with a brand new head coach -- last season around this time in February and left Multi-Sport Field with a 10-11 overtime loss. Regardless of whether the Hoyas are stronger than the Mount St. Mary's, Georgetown is -- at a minimum -- more experienced than the Mountaineers, returning five starters from a season ago and starting just three underclassmen (all are freshman, dotting the attack, offensive midfield, and close defense). The Hoyas left off in a pretty solid spot at the end of 2013 and should use today's date against Mount St. Mary's to take an important step forward in Kevin Warne's second season on The Hilltop.
Here's today's full schedule -- it's exactly what's in that bullet point immediately above -- with links to things so that you can monitor the carnage (Wagner, unfortunately, is not in action because Wednesdays are mandatory beat poetry nights on Staten Island):
|Mount St. Mary's||Georgetown||3:00 P.M.||LIVE STATS||VIDEO|
Leave your thoughts about the game or anything else (QUERY: How do you get a board seat on the National Chicken Wing Council?) in the comments below.