Jordan Evans -- the top-ranked recruit from the class of 2013 and the centerpiece to Syracuse's electric freshman class -- was introduced to the media today:
Desko on Evans wearing 22: I talked to him about it about 3 years ago (laughs).— WAER Sports (@WAERSports) January 6, 2014
Jordan Evans on being asked to wear #22: "It's great to know the team is behind me. pic.twitter.com/gymP1o9JVR— Syracuse Lacrosse (@SUMensLax) January 6, 2014
Desko on Evans: He's worked both midfield and attack.— WAER Sports (@WAERSports) January 6, 2014
This is the tradition that Evans has -- purposefully! -- assumed:
- Since 1983, all but two wearers of 22 -- Chris Baduini and JoJo Marasco -- have won a national championship. The Orange has won an NCAA record 11 national championships since 1983 (including the one that the NCAA says doesn't exist).
- All but two wearers of 22 -- Baduini and Sun Ho Lee -- have earned All-America honors. In total, keepers of the number since 1983 have earned All-America status 26 times (seven honorable mention All-America nods, two third-team All-America honors, three second-team All-America recognitions, and 14 first-team All-America honors). Five players -- Gary Gait, Charlie Lockwood, Casey Powell, Ryan Powell, and Mike Powell -- earned All-American nods in four consecutive seasons while one -- Mike Powell -- earned four consecutive first-team All-America recognitions.
- All but one wearer of 22 -- Cody Jamieson -- made a trip to Championship Weekend while wearing the number (and Jamieson went in 2009 while wearing 43).
- Syracuse is 384-85 (81.88 percent) since 1983 with a wearer of 22 on the roster. There has been just one losing season with someone on the Orange's roster wearing 22 -- a 5-8 record in 2007 -- and the team's average winning percentage is 81.70 percent with a 22 on the roster since 1983. The team has averaged 13 wins per season with a 22 on the roster since 1983.
- With a 22 on the roster since 1983, Syracuse has missed one NCAA Tournament (2007), went to The Big Barbecue twice as an unseeded team (in 2003 and 2012), earned nine one-seeds in the national tournament, and holds an average NCAA Tournament seed of 2.58.
- Wearers of 22 since 1983 have:
- Earned enshrinement in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame (Gary Gait).
- Won two Tewaaraton Awards (Mike Powell in 2002 and 2004).
- Won six Enners Awards as the nation's most outstanding player (Gary Gait in 1988 and 1989; Casey Powell in 1997 and 1998; Ryan Powell in 2000; Mike Powell in 2004).
- Won three McLaughlin Awards as the nation's most outstanding midfielder (Gary Gait in 1988 and 1989; Casey Powell in 1996).
- Won six Turnbull Awards as the nation's most outstanding attack (Casey Powell in 1998; Ryan Powell in 2000; Mike Powell in 2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004).
- Won three NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player Awards (Gary Gait in 1990; Mike Powell in 2002 and 2004).
No pressure, kid.