BALTIMORE, MD - MAY 29: The Cornell Big Red celebrate their first goal against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish during the 2010 NCAA Division 1 Lacrosse Semifinal Championship game on May 29, 2010 at M & T Bank Stadium in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Mitchell Layton/Getty Images)
I recently came across the "Wagner College Strength and Conditioning Exercise Handbook 2011." It's pretty standard: Some lunges, some hang cleans, some basic lifts; you know, your usual housewife-that-will-assault-you-if-you-ever-cheat-on-her-with-a-much-hotter-woman-with-a-huge-alimony-payment-from-her-first-husband workout.
And, I think, this is what's holding Wagner back. If Wagner wants to get out of the cellar of Division I men's lacrosse, they need to think a little different. It doesn't cost much to change your strength and conditioning program and with some of these suggestions, I think that the Seahawks could really shine down the road. Here are three things that I think Wagner can change in their strength and conditioning program to really get a step ahead of the competition:
- No more free weights. Instead: Kangaroo boxing in close quarters. You can't mimic the kind of toughness it'll teach.
- Stretching is so yesterday. Instead: Loosening up will consist solely of listening to Pink Floyd and really connecting with oneself.
- Is watching television considered exercise yet? No? Well, I guess I only have two ideas then.
It's another busy Tuesday around college lacrosse. There are 13 games today, likely in an attempt to avoid conflicts with college basketball and all of the "OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE THAT?!?" going on around the country. Your highlights for tonight:
- Albany at Massachusetts: The Minutemen have to lose at some point, right? Albany is jonesing for a win and today would be a big one.
- Maryland at UMBC: A nice little test for the Terrapins after they violated the sanctity of Duke on Saturday. UMBC was on the brink of knocking off Fairfield this weekend and Maryland would be an even bigger scalp.
- North Carolina at Pennsylvania: Each team needs a win after a few tough games. Also, I still want to see Pennsylvania play with Ben Franklin hair wigs over their helmets.
Here's the full slate for today/tonight:
Leave your comments about the game or anything else (QUERY: What's your favorite exercises to not do? Mine is all of them.) in the comments below.